State of Michigan Requirements for Graduated Driver License
LEVEL 1 DRIVER LICENSE
Upon completion of SEGMENT 1 Driver Education, you must immediately go to the Secretary of State to receive your LEVEL 1 DRIVER LICENSE.
You may not legally drive on the road without first being issued the LEVEL 1 DRIVER LICENSE. To apply for the LEVEL 1 DRIVER LICENSE you must:
* Be at least 14 years 9 months old.
* Complete SEGMENT 1 Drivers Education course.
* Pass vision and health standards prescribed by the Secretary of State.
* Receive written approval of a parent or legal guardian.
With your LEVEL 1 DRIVER LICENSE you may drive only with a licensed parent or legal guardian, or with permission of the parent or guardian, you may drive with a license driver 21 years of age or older for at least 6 months, or until your 16th birth date, whichever comes later.
LEVEL 2 DRIVER LICENSE
To apply for a LEVEL 2 DRIVER LICENSE, you must:
* Be at least 16 years old.
* Must have had LEVEL 1 DRIVER LICENSE for a minimum of 6 months.
* Successfully completed SEGMENT 2 Driver Education.
* Not have a moving violation resulting in a conviction or civil infraction, or be involved in an accident for which the official police report indicates a moving violation on your part during the 90-day period immediately preceding application.
* Present certification from parent or legal guardian (or with the permission of your parent or guardian, any licensed driver 21 years of age or older), you accumulated at least 50 hours of driving experience, of which 10 hours have occurred at night. You must have a log book or documentation of the 50 practice hours under supervision.
* Pass a road skills test given by an agency approved by the Secretary of State. A list of testing agencies is available at the Secretary of State.
With your LEVEL 2 DRIVER LICENSE, you may drive between 5 A.M. and midnight by yourself. You may not drive between 12 midnight and 5 A.M. unless you are accompanied by a parent, legal guardian, or a licensed driver 21 years of age or older; except if you are going to and from employment. You may drive a moped at anytime with a LEVEL 2 DRIVER LICENSE.
LEVEL 3 DRIVER LICENSE
To apply for a LEVEL 3 LICENSE, you must:
* Be at least 17 years of age.
* Have driven with your LEVEL 1 DRIVER LICENSE at least 6 months and LEVEL 2 LICENSE at least 6 months.
* Complete 12 consecutive months from the date the LEVEL 2 DRIVER LICENSE was issued, without a moving violation, an at-fault crash that resulted in a moving violation, a license suspension or a violation of a Graduated Driver License restriction.
A LEVEL 3 DRIVER LICENSE grants you full driving privileges, with no restrictions.